Hey guys! We are half way through the school year here and honestly, I am running out of lunch ideas! So today I wanted to share our absolute go-to when it comes to school lunches. Sometimes I forget what a great staple these Pizza Buns make! Not only are they great for lunches but they are perfect for parties too. Lets get cooking…
I make these in large batches of at least 24. Once they are completely cool, I place them in a large ziploc bag in the freezer. This makes for easy lunch packing each day. The boys simply pack them in their lunch box and by lunch time they are defrosted and ready to eat. It’s nice to mix up the traditional sandwich fare. I have shared a ton of sandwich free lunch ideas in the past. Be sure to check them out!
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1.5 – 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 40 rounds of pizza pepperoni (approx.)
- 2 cans of Pillsbury pizza dough
- Begin by spreading the dough into a large rectangle.
- Spread half of the pizza sauce over the dough.
- Leave one edge of the dough free of toppings.
- Sprinkle with ¾ – 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Layer with 20 pieces of pepperoni in two rows.
- Now begin rolling the dough into a log. Work towards the edge with no toppings.
- Slice the roll into 1″ segments. Repeat these steps with the second can of dough.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
It’s really hard not to eat all of these before they make it into the freezer! I usually have to hide them from the boys or make an extra batch just for eating as afterschool snacks. The possibilities are endless in terms of pizza toppings so you can totally mix it up to create everyones favorite pizza bun flavor.