This camp cooker philly cheesesteak recipe is absolutely delicious!
With summer planning in full swing I am already starting to get excited about all of the delicious camping food we have planned. This Campfire Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipe has been one of the most popular on the blog and a recipe that is universally loved by our family.
So I decided to convert it into a camp cooker recipe with amazing results. Today I am super excited to share this yummy camp cooker philly cheesesteak recipe with you…
If you like a good philly cheesesteak then you are going to love this recipe! It’s a hardy, filling recipe that is perfect for camping.
I typically make a batch of our Tinfoil Packet Philly Cheesesteak and then use the leftovers for this camp cooker sandwich the next day. This makes the cooking time a lot shorter but today I will show you the whole process from start to finish.
Over the years I have experimented and tried out pretty much every camping tool known to woman. I love to cook and make delicious food while we are camping in the wilderness. Here are some of my favorite products to use while camping (affiliate links).
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
What you’ll need to make this camp cooker philly cheesesteak:
- 1 lb sirloin steak, cut into strips
- Red bell pepper, sliced
- Green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 100 grams provolone cheese, sliced
- 10 slices of bread
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Camp cooker
- Place the first six ingredients into a tinfoil packet and cook for 30 minutes over the campfire or on the BBQ.
- Butter two pieces of bread on both sides.
- Layer bread in a camp cooker with 1/3 cup cheesesteak filling and one slice of cheese.
4. Close and latch camp cooker before cooking over a campfire for about 10 minutes.
Be sure to watch the cooker carefully so that your sandwiches doesn’t burn over the fire. I open the pie iron occasionally to check for doneness and flip from side to side often.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Campfire Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich recipes are some of my favorites.
Kitchen essentials for making the Philly Cheesesteak filling:
- I love using these non-stick T-fal Frying Pans (aff link) for all of my sauteing.
- These silicone tongs (aff link) are perfect for flipping and scooping the steak filling.
- This Henckel Knife (aff link) is my favorite for slicing and dicing in the kitchen.
- These grilling bags (aff link) make clean up a breeze and these parchment paper bags are perfect for packaging.
Be sure to check out this pie iron philly cheesesteak recipe at the Campfire Foodie too!