My kids absolutely love this tasty camp cooker pizza pocket recipe and I love how simple it is for them to make on their own! Using a camp cooker is one of the easiest ways to make camping meals quickly. Be sure to check out my how to use a pie iron post for step by step instructions and tips on using this handy camping tool!
You really can’t go wrong with pizza while camping. Simply gather up your favorite pizza toppings, wrap them in a tortilla and toast them over the campfire.
Some of our favorite pizza toppings:
- mozza cheese
- bell pepper
- tex mex cheese
- and lots more!
Over the years I have experimented and tried out pretty much every camping tool known to woman. I love to cook and make delicious food while we are camping in the wilderness. Here are some of my favorite products to use while camping (affiliate links).
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
What you’ll need for this recipe:
- 4 10″ tortillas
- 1/2 can (100ml) pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzerella cheese, shredded
- 200 g pepperoni, sliced
How to make camp cooker pizza pockets:
- Spray the inside of the camp cooker with non-stick spray or wipe down with butter. Lay a tortilla to one side of the iron and fill with pizza toppings.
2. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the toppings to create a pocket before closing the iron.
3. Cook over the fire for 5-10 minutes, flipping the pie iron when necessary.
Tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.
I love how simple this camping recipe is for kids to make. My boys love to cook over the campfire all by themselves so all that I have to do is provide the ingredients for them and they are good to go.
Everyone can make their own individual pizza pocket filled with their favorite ingredients. It’s a win, win!
What would you fill this pie iron pizza pocket recipe with?!