Oh my gosh!! Have you guys ever seen a costume as cute as Thunder dressed up as a Demodog?! I seriously cannot get enough! When we decided to do a very Stranger Things Halloween this year and create this DIY Functioning Demogorgon Mask for Cam… I immediately knew what we’d do with the leftover craft materials. Make this epic Demodog Costume for Thunder, our three pound long haired chihuahua…
So friggin’ adorable! Amiright?!
- Craft foam
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Hot glue sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Air dry modelling clay
- Mod podge
How to make a demodog costume:
- Cut the foam into five petal shapes and cut a strip of foam about 1″ wide and long enough to fit around your dogs neck comfortably.
2. Paint the front of the petals red. We used a combination of black, red, brown and white paint. Optional, burn/score lines into the petals for added texture.
3. Paint the foam strip and the sides/back of the petals grey. We used a combination of black, white, brown and green paint. A sponge paint brush helped to give that mottled effect.
4. Roll and shape 50-70 1/2″ teeth using the clay. Allow to dry and paint a cream colour.
5. Glue the teeth to the petals and coat with a layer of mod podge. Glue the foam strip into a collar and glue the petals to the collar. Trim the petal tips with scissors.
Leave the strings of hot glue for added effect.
Place on your dog and enjoy the shenanigans! Be sure to supervise your pet whenever they’re wearing a costume just in case they get stuck/caught on something.
Clearly Thunder makes the most adorable Demodog ever! We’re lucky that he’s a good sport when it comes to costumes. A few years ago he made the cutest Chewbacca to add to our Star Wars ensemble.
Do you dress up your doggo for the holidays? We’d love to see YOUR costume!! Be sure to check out our Functioning Demogorgon Mask tutorial if you have a human who wants to dress up as a demogorgon this year.
Looking for more Halloween Costume ideas? Check out a few of our favorites…