Baking all. the. things. is my favorite! When I began following a ketogenic lifestyle last year I was worried that baking would be lost to me but that has been far from the case. I still make my favorite recipes for friends and family and have converted many recipes to more keto friendly versions. Like these Keto Almond Butter Cookies that are very reminiscent of traditional peanut butter cookies while being gluten free, sugar free and low carb.
Sometimes you just have a craving for old favorites you know?! For me this especially happens in the cooler winter months. I love to putter around the kitchen with the oven on and the mixer whirring. I tested out this almond butter cookie recipe in small batches until I got it just to my liking. These cookies are moist and delicious, two of my requirements for the perfect cookie!
Tips for keto baking:
- use almond flour or coconut flour.
- find an alternative sweetener to cane sugar. I like stevia or monk fruit.
- substitute cream cheese for oil or margarine.
I used a stand mixer to combine all of the ingredients but you could use a food processor as well.
- ½ cup almond flour
- 125 grams cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered almond butter (must be powdered)
- 1 Tbsp stevia (granulated)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add egg, extract and cheese.
- Combine until a soft dough forms.
- Use a small cookie scoop to place walnut size balls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray a fork with cooking spray and press into each cookie.
- Bake for 12 mins at 350.
I found powdered almond butter at Winners but I am sure that our local health food store would have it too. You could try using regular almond butter but I do not know how it would affect the texture of this recipe. Let me know if you try it!