We love this scalloped kohlrabi recipe!
I am always looking for delicious substitutions that I can use to make my favorite dishes lower carb. Since I began following a ketogenic lifestyle I strive to keep my personal carbohydrate intake under 20 grams per day. This has been made so much easier by finding yummy vegetables like Kohlrabi. Today I am sharing this super tasty, low carb scalloped kohlrabi recipe with you. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Last week I taught a really fun class on keto meal preparation and planning. I demonstrated how to make this delicious Cauliflower Perogie Casserole that recieved rave reviews. One of the ladies said that the flavour reminded her of scalloped potatoes a little bit. Instantly I was inspired to get creative in the kitchen! After some trial and error this yummy kohlrabi casserole was born.
Ingredients needed to make this dish:
- 500g kohlrabi, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 300g cooked ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper
What is kohlrabi?!
Kohlrabi is a vegetable in the turnip family. It makes the perfect replacement for potatoes when following a ketogenic diet because it is low carbohydrate. In fact, it has fewer carbs than cauliflower per serving. It has a hard outer peel that must be removed before eating as the peel does not break down, even with cooking. Kohlrabi has a crisp texture similar to an apple and a very mild flavour similar to that of a turnip or radish.
How to make this scalloped kohlrabi recipe:
- Peel and thinly slice the kohlrabi.
2. Cook the kohlrabi in a large pot on the stove until el dente.
3. Cut up the onion and ham.
4. In a frying pan, saute onion and ham until the onion is opaque.
5. In a medium pot melt butter, add flour and whisk together. Add cream to the pot and stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Layer in a 9×12 casserole dish, onion mixture, kohlrabi, onion mixture, kohlrabi.
7. Pour cream sauce over the filling.
8. Top with shredded cheese. Bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.
Tips for keto cooking:
- Find low carb substitutions for your current favorite recipes. Like cauliflower instead of perogies and radishes instead of potatoes.
- Maintain a healthy balance of protein and fats. Sometimes its hard to get enough fat and/or protein in a ketogenic diet so be sure to include a balance of both in your dishes.
- Plan ahead and use tools like this Meal Planning Printable to reach maximum success.
- Find recipes that you love, like this Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole, Taco Bake and Hamburger Soup, and use them in your weekly rotation.
- Be sure to stock the kitchen with helpful tools (aff links) like this food scale, these measuring cups and a Kitchen Aid mixer.
I love that simply substituting kohlrabi for potatoes makes this recipe perfect for those who may be following a ketogenic lifestyle. Kohlrabi has such a mild flavour that this is a dish that the whole family can easily fall in love with.
Kitchen essentials for making scalloped kohlrabi:
- I love using these non-stick T-fal Frying Pans (aff link) for all of my sauteing.
- These silicone tongs (aff link) are perfect for flipping and scooping the onion mixture.
- This Henckel Knife (aff link) is my favorite for slicing and dicing in the kitchen.
- These casserole dishes (aff link) are perfect for one pot meals!
This casserole can easily become a one pot style meal. The addition of ham to this dish gives it a lovely pop of flavour, texture and protein.
Why not serve this at your next big family meal and see what everyone thinks? I guarantee that they are sure to find this scalloped kohlrabi recipe absolutely delicious!