Shepherds Pie is one of those dishes that is often a family staple. For years I have been making this low carb version that is perfect for those who may be following a ketogenic lifestyle. It’s as simple as swapping out the traditional mashed potato topping for mashed cauliflower. I use garlic mashed cauliflower for an even tastier, more flavourful addition to this recipe.
My kids are also big fans of these Cheesy Meatloaf and Mashed Cauliflower Cups which are very similar to this Shepherds Pie recipe but without all of the obvious veggies.
This Low Carb Shepherds Pie was a big hit with the kids too!
Cook beef, drain and add vegetables.
Layer a large casserole dish with meat and vegetable mixture.
Add peas and crumbled bacon.
Top with herb and garlic mashed cauliflower. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 100 g onion, diced
- 50 g celery, diced
- 100 g carrot, diced
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 600 g cauliflower florets, steamed and well drained
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp herb & garlic cream cheese
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon. Set aside.
- Add beef to the pan and cook on medium.
- Add onion, celery and carrots and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce temperature to low and add broth, flour and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir and combine with spices.
- Place meat mixture into the bottom of a medium casserole pan.
- Top with crumbled bacon.
- In a medium bowl combine cooked cauliflower, butter and cream cheese.
- Mash cauliflower until smooth and creamy.
- Spread overtop of meat mixture.
- Score topping with a fork, brush with egg and dust with paprika (optional).
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350.