These Pie Iron Chicken Pesto Pockets are beyond delicious and sure to become a family favorite so don’t forget to save this recipe for later! I have to say that this is my absolute favorite way to prepare any kind of “sandwich” in the pie iron. Using tortillas creates the perfect pocket and bread to filling ratio in my opinion!
Simple is key when camping! Purchase ingredients that are already prepared and easy to pack. Most of our supplies were bought at Costco.
I love Pie Irons for cooking while camping. We also call them camp cookers. It is essentially a cast iron sandwich maker that you can heat over the open fire. We use it year round and it works like a charm over the propane fire as well (whenever there is a fire ban in place). You can purchase a Pie Iron straight from Amazon (aff link) or find them at Canadian Tire or other outdoor specialty stores.
For this simple camping recipe you will need…
1 Tbsp pesto
2-3 slices of cooked chicken breast
1/8 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
Spray the interior of the pie iron with non stick spray.
Place one side of the tortilla on the pie iron, layer with chicken, pesto and cheese.
Fold tortilla into a “pocket”.
Close and latch the pie iron.
Cook over the fire, opening the iron to check progress periodically.
Cook for approximately 3 mins per side depending on how hot the fire is.
Camp cooking essentials:
- Menu planning for camping is something that I always do to stay organized. Grab this free Meal Planner Printable to get started on your next trip.
- A Pie Iron Camp Cooker makes cooking over the open fire super easy. Check out these 20+ Pie Iron Recipe Ideas for tons of camp cooker inspiration!
- Foil Pie Plates make tinfoil packet meals even easier with the sturdy base that they provide.
- These Grilling Bags that I recently found are amazing! Simply add all of your ingredients to the bag at home then throw it on the campfire or grill when camping in the great outdoors. Avoid the grill bags with plastic windows, they melt (yikes!).
I fold the tortilla a bit like and envelope within the pie iron. The melty cheese helps to hold the pocket together once cooked.
You could add all sorts of fillings to this recipe! Just pack a bunch of tortillas and fill them with camping leftovers for easy lunch on the go while camping! Egg and ham for breakfast? Jam and marshmallows for dessert? The possibilities are endless…
More tips for camping meal preparation:
- Prepare meals in advance at home whenever possible. Leave most of the mess at home where running water is more accessible and clean up is easier. Trust me on this one!
- Create “one pot” family style meals for quick dinners that don’t require a lot of thought.
- Use tinfoil packets, foil pie pans or camp cookers (aff link). These tools help to make clean up a breeze!
- Pack ingredients in 1 gallon size ziploc bags for flexible storage in small fridges and coolers.
- Plan meals that use similar ingredients to help make packing and planning easy. These Cheesy Vegetable Campfire Dip, Loaded Campfire Potatoes and Tinfoil Packet Nacho Dip recipes are some of my favorites.