Last summer was my first while following a ketogenic lifestyle. What I quickly learned was that many of my favorite recipes can easily be converted to keto with a few simple substitutions. Bar-b-cue and grilling recipes are especially versatile. That’s why I love these Marinated Steak Skewers! They are perfect to make ahead for camping and keto compliant.
Preparing camping meals at home, before we head into the great outdoors helps to make our trips more enjoyable and stress free. Plus I like leaving the mess at home and eliminating most of the clean up when we are camping.
These skewers require only a few delicious ingredients. Steak, mushrooms and onions are all keto friendly foods. The marinade that I use is also keto but I have included instructions for anyone not following a low carb lifestyle. I used Coconut Aminos in this recipe but Soy Sauce can easily be substituted. I also use Stevia instead of white sugar or honey.
Cut the onion and steak into cubes and thread alternatingly onto the bamboo skewers with mushrooms.
Place the skewers into a large freezer safe plastic bag and cover with remaining ingredients. Freeze for up to three months or until ready to use.
Defrost the skewers and grill for about 10 minutes or until steak is cooked to your liking. Pair with my absolute favorite Cauliflower Salad for the perfect camping combination!
Tips for making Camping Freezer Meals:
- Use 1 gallon, large freezer bags. Label bags with the date, recipe and cooking instructions
- Lay ingredients flat in the bag for easier storage in the freezer.
- Defrost meals in the refrigerator and place into tinfoil packet for cooking or onto bar-b-cue.
- Store meals for up to three months in the freezer.
- 1.5 pounds marinating steak, cut into cubes
- 30 small white mushrooms (200g)
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2/3 cup Coconut Aminos (soy sauce can be substituted)
- 1 tsp granulated stevia (or white sugar)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 20 wooden skewers
Cut steak and onion into cubes.
Thread onto wooden skewers alternating steak, mushrooms and onion.
Place into a large freezer safe bag.
Pour remaining ingredients over skewers and freeze until needed.
To cook, defrost and grill until steak is cooked to desired doneness.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 servings Serving Size: 2 skewers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 110mg Sodium: 636mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Protein: 31g
What else would you add to these skewers? I think that bell peppers would be an amazing addition! Or cherry tomatoes? Yum!