This Stranger Things Pull Apart Cake is brilliant I tell ya! My boys turned tweleve last year. TWELVE you guys! That’s the same age as this blog and crazy in my opinion because I seriously cannot be that old. They wanted a low key Stranger Things party and that’s where this super easy Stranger Things pull apart cake came in. It doesn’t get much easier than cupcakes and a tub of whipped frosting!
We are huge Stranger Things fans around here so it was no surprise when the boys wanted a Stranger Things party. I mean, we made a Stranger Things Functioning Mask for halloween last year and even a Demodog Costume for Thunder. I love that the boys get to experience the nostalgia of the ‘8os and get hooked on this classic series from Netflix. This pull apart cake was a huge hit with the kids!
How to make a Stranger Things pull apart cake:
- Bake a dozen cupcakes using a box of cake mix. Use cupcake liners so that the cupcakes don’t stick together. Allow cupcakes to completely cool before arranging them onto a large platter in a rectangle shape.
2. Slather white whipped topping over all of the cupcakes creating a uniform look.
3. Create three black lines about 1.5 inches apart on the cake using a tube of decorative black icing. Make the lines wavy and overlapping to look like a string of twinkly lights. Add a single black line or two to the top portion of the cake.
4. Add a variety of coloured Smarties along the black lines of icing. Make sure that they are evenly spaced about 1/2″ apart. These Smarties are only available in Canada but colourful M&Ms would totally work too if you need an alternative.
5. Finally, use a tube of decorative black icing to write out the letters of the alphabet under each Smartie “light”.
What to buy to make a Stranger Things pull apart cake:
- We used this Duncan Hines Cake Mix.
- These cupcake liners come in handy.
- This Betty Crocker vanilla frosting is the boys favorite.
- A tube of decorative black icing makes putting on the details super easy.
- Colourful Smarties or M&Ms.
- Don’t forget the birthday candles!
This was honestly the easiest cake that I have ever made for the boys birthday! I think that pull apart cakes are my new favorite thing. In the past they’ve had epic Superhero Cakes, Angry Birds Cupcakes and even a Chewbacca Cheesecake.
The scene where Joyce hangs these lights and tries to communicate with her son Will is so iconic of this show! All of the kids at the party thought that it was so cool. I dressed up as Joyce last Halloween, complete with a string of lights around my neck and brunette wig! Isaiah was Will and Cam was a Demogorgon, we had a ton of fun!
Here’s what the cake looked like after the kids started to pull it apart. You guys! I didn’t even have to cut it!! This Stranger Things pull apart cake was seriously the easiest birthday cake that I have ever made. Have you made a pull apart cake? I would love to see it…